Borrego Sun - Since 1949

Paranormal Activity in Warner Springs Mission Chapel

 

Last updated 7/16/2015 at 1:26pm

Trish Luberte

For generations the Cupeño Indians have considered Warner Springs their ancestral home. The Chapel of Saint Francis of Assisi on Highway 79 and Stage Road is one of the few remaining Mission Chapels still serving a primarily American Indian population.

The adobe chapel was originally constructed by the local Cupeños with the supervision of the Verona Fathers from the Santa Ysabel Mission. The adobe and wood were sourced from the surrounding hills. All the beams and planking were hand split and hewn.

This tiny structure is known for its open beam work ceiling and paranormal activity. For over a century, this chapel has been considered one of the most active paranormal sights in western America. Using a device to record sound and detect heat with movement, professional paranormal investigators have recorded and confirmed the paranormal activity.

This mission chapel is of tremendous historic significance. This location is considered the beginning of the 'trail of tears'. The Cupeño Indians had lived for generations in settlements surrounding Warner Springs. A nomadic and spiritual people, the Cupeños travelled through Warner Springs for the medicinal value of its waters. After much litigation and unsuccessful negotiation by Theodore Roosevelt, on behalf of the Cupeños, they were federally mandated to leave their ancestral land.

"We do not know what lies beyond where the sun rises in the morning-

We do not know where the sun goes down at night-

We only know our home."

----- Chief of Cupeños

Read full story in the print edition of the Borrego Sun.

You might be interested in:
 
 
Rendered 10/15/2018 09:24